(for 4 servings)
2 stalks lemongrass
2 thai red chili peppers, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon galangal, minced
1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
5 cups vegetable broth (1.2 L)
1 large tomato, diced
5 lime leaves
1 cup coconut milk (240 mL)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
7 oz extra firm tofu (200 g), cubed
6 oz creminimushroom (165 g), sliced
¼ cup lime juice
1 tablespoon agave salt, to taste
fresh cilantro leaf, for garnish
(1) Trim off the top third and very bottom of the lemongrass stalks. Using the side of a knife, press down across the stalks to bruise the lemongrass and release the oils. Chop each stalk into 4 pieces and set aside.
(2) Add the chili peppers, garlic, and galangal to a mortar and pestle and grind into a paste. Set aside.
(3) Melt the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the lemongrass and cook for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant. Add the chili pepper paste and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until fragrant.
(4) Add the vegetable broth, tomato, lime leaves, coconut milk, and soy sauce and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Cover, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, until broth has reduced slightly.
(5) Add the tofu and mushrooms and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
(6) Add the lime juice and agave and stir to combine. Season with salt to taste.
Garnish with cilantro and serve.